On founding and scaling a business that’s never existed before, the role of meditation in sustaining steadiness as a founder and owner.
In 2005, Erin McKenna’s Bakery NYC opened on the Lower East Side of Manhattan with two rules:
1. Create a bakery free of harmful ingredients.
2. Wear cute uniforms.
Today, as then, Erin focuses on the underserved people with gluten, dairy, egg, and soy sensitivities, the health-minded, and, most importantly, allergic kids who are often unable to indulge.
Erin selects all ingredients responsibly and uses natural sweeteners sparingly. The goal is to make eating vegan and gluten-free fun and delicious.
Visit Erin in person or online: https://www.erinmckennasbakery.com/
Order Erin’s cakes and cookies nationwide: https://www.goldbelly.com/erin-mckennas-bakery
- 0:00-4:00 – My love of Babycakes, Erin’s original bakery
- 4:00-6:00 – Erin’s childhood as one of twelve kids; her introduction to Michael Beckwith and discovering her potential
- 6:30 – coming from a place of love and how that can change things
- 7:00 – her time in NYC at Flaunt Magazine, depression, then reading Wayne Dyer and beginning her meditation practice
- 8:00 – Erin’s conscious cultivation of gratitude in her twenties, developing a sense of trust in the future
- 10:00 – How the name “Babycakes” came to be… the beginning of the business… knowing nothing and still growing her trust and creating the bakery
- 13:20 – Her wish to help other women to see their vision through to completion; being a good listener to the signs and information is coming in
- 15:00 – Meditation; the frustration is the fruit
- 18:00 – Burnout and emergence
- 19:45 – From control to releasing, especially in your own business
- 22:00 – The dark moment that lasted a long while; redefining her why
- 23:45 – The joy of seeing kids who’ve never had a sweet due to allergies finally enjoy their first cupcake or sweet…
- 25:00 – From wanting to quit to clarity
- 26:00 – Emergence post-covid, and how Erin avoided practice initially
- 28:00 – Asking for help and guidance
- 30:00 – Following her intuition as to next steps
- 31:30 – More on asking for help especially when it’s uncomfortable
- 34:00 – Forgiveness
- 38:00 – Erin’s proudest moment in her business
- 42:00 – Erin’s proudest moment in her parenting